While you’re home practicing social distancing, take a break from your screens! Overdoing screen time can easily lead to uncomfortable dry eye, headaches, and eyestrain. This week, try these five activities to cut back on eyestrain and stay busy!
And remember, our Better Vision New Jersey family is still here for you. Do not hesitate to reach out if you are experiencing an emergency eye problem—we are happy to help!
1. Garden. Take a break from indoor activities and try gardening in the warmer New Jersey weather! If you suffer from seasonal allergies, try to avoid high pollen times to prevent unpleasant eye allergy symptoms. And, as always, wear sunglasses when you are outside to block harmful UV rays.
2. Cook. If you aren’t ordering takeout tonight, boost your skills in the kitchen! Choose a recipe high in vitamins and minerals to improve your total-body health. Choose meals that are balanced—eating your fruits and vegetables can help you maintain a strong immune system.
3. Meditate. Give yourself a break from the news and social media. Put down your phone and try to focus on meditation or mindfulness to reduce your stress levels and improve your health.
4. Head outside. Staying active is so important! But, if you are planning to play a sport outside with your family members (from ONLY your house!), remember to protect your eyes with safety goggles, a helmet with an eye shield, or sunglasses. After all, April is Sports Eye Safety Month!
5. Write. Write a note for a friend, a letter to yourself in the future, or start journaling. Now is also a great time to write thank-you notes to heroes in our New Jersey community. We’re sure that doctors, nurses, mailmen, or local grocers would love to receive a message of appreciation… once it is safe to deliver them, of course!