Joseph P. Calderone, Jr., M.D.
Dr. Calderone founded Better Vision New Jersey (formerly Cranford Ophthalmology) in 1987 and is a foremost expert in the treatment of dry eye. Better Vision New Jersey is in a building named after Dr. Calderone's father. This state-of-the-art facility is equipped with was the first office in New Jersey to offer the revolutionary Lipiflow Thermal Pulsation System and is fully-equipped with the latest ophthalmological equipment.
- AB Chemistry: College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, Massachusetts
- MD: Rutgers University New Jersey Medical School
- Internship: Albany Medical Center, Albany, New York
- Ophthalmology Residency: New York Medical College
- Diplomate American Board of Ophthalmology
- Clinical Instructor – Rutgers Medical School, Newark, New Jersey
- Clinical Assistant Professor – Seton Hall University School of Graduate Medical Education
- Overlook Hospital, Summit, New Jersey
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Rahway, New Jersey - Former Chairman of Ophthalmology
- Adjunct Staff – Trinitas Hospital (formerly St. Elizabeth & Elizabeth General Hospitals)
Other Professional Positions
- Somerset Eye Institute
- Medical Director: 2000 -- 2004, 2011 -- Present
- Board of Directors: 1995 – Present
- Rahway Hospital
- Emergency Medicine: 1983 – 1987
Membership in Professional Societies
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Fellow
- New Jersey Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
Ready to request an appointment?
Fill out the form and we will get back to you shortly!
What makes Better Vision New Jersey so exceptional? Read what our patients have to say.
I had cataracts and after Dr. Calderone operated on my eyes, my vision is now 20/20. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. It’s a tremendously well-equipped practice in terms of the technology that’s used to take care of your eyes and the technical staff is also superb.
I have been a patient of Dr. Calderone’s for more than I can remember and I have always found the physicians and entire staff to be professional, caring and thorough in everything they do. All the physicians spend quality time with each patient to hear about their concerns or answer questions. I personally would highly recommend him to family and friends.
I had originally gone to the practice for floaters in my eye and discovered that I had cataracts. I found everyone at Better Vision New Jersey—from the physicians to the staff—to be extremely kind and caring. I was very impressed with the quality of care I received and how well they not only treated me, but also my husband. Their facilities are state-of-the-art and they are absolute experts in their field.
CLICK ON OUR MAPS FOR DIRECTIONS TO OUR CRANFORD OFFICE